It is essential for everyone to have healthy gums and teeth. Good oral hygiene habits not only improve your appearance but also ensure that your entire body is healthy. Here are the best 30 tips and tricks for healthy gums and teeth:
1. Brush your teeth at least twice a day – in the morning and before going to bed. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and fluoride toothpaste.
2. Floss daily to remove plaque and bacteria from in between your teeth and gum line.
3. Eat a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein. Avoid sugary and acidic foods as they can damage your teeth.
4. Quit smoking as it increases the risk of gum disease and other oral health problems.
5. Drink plenty of water to keep your mouth hydrated and rinse away food particles and bacteria.
6. Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and checkups.
7. Use an antibacterial mouthwash to help reduce plaque and bacteria in your mouth.
8. Practice stress-relieving activities like yoga or meditation as stress can contribute to teeth grinding (bruxism) which can damage your teeth over time.
9. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush when you have sensitive teeth or gums.
10. If you wear braces, be sure to brush and floss carefully to avoid getting cavities or other oral health problems.
11. Avoid using your teeth as tools (e.g., opening bottles or tearing open packages) to prevent them from chipping or breaking.
12. If you have diabetes, be sure to brush and floss regularly as you’re at increased risk for gum disease and other oral health problems.
13. Don’t share straws, cigarettes, or eating utensils with others to avoid exchanging saliva which can transmit bacteria.
14. Use a tongue scraper or toothbrush to gently clean your tongue every day as plaque and bacteria can build up on it.
15. When you’re sick, practice good hygiene habits like covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze and washing your hands regularly.
16. If you have a cold sore, avoid kissing or sharing utensils with others to prevent the spread of the virus.
17. Avoid using teeth whitening products if you have sensitive teeth or gums.
18. Be cautious when using over-the-counter mouthwashes as some of them can contain alcohol which can be drying to your mouth.
19. Use a lip balm with SPF to protect your lips from the sun’s harmful rays.
20. Keep your toothbrush in a clean, dry place to prevent bacteria from growing on it.
21. Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months or sooner if the bristles become frayed.
22. Store mouthwash out of reach of children as some of them contain alcohol which can be harmful if ingested.
23. Avoid using your teeth to open bottles or packages as this can damage them.
24. Be sure to see your dentist if you have any concerns about your oral health.
25. If you’re pregnant, be sure to visit your dentist as you’re at increased risk for gum disease and other oral health problems.
26. When you take medication, ask your dentist or doctor if it will cause any side effects that could impact your oral health.
27. Use a straw when drinking sugary or acidic beverages to avoid contact with your teeth.
28. Rinse your mouth with water after eating sugary or acidic foods to protect your teeth from the harmful effects.
29. Be sure to see your dentist if you have any changes in your mouth, such as sores, redness, or swelling.
30. Practice good oral hygiene habits and visit your dentist regularly to help maintain healthy gums and teeth.
If you have any concerns about your oral health, be sure to see your dentist. They can help you determine the cause of any problems and recommend the best course of treatment.
The best way to maintain healthy gums and teeth is to practice good oral hygiene habits. This includes brushing and flossing regularly, eating a balanced diet, and visiting your dentist for professional cleanings and checkups. By following these tips, you can help keep your mouth healthy and prevent gum disease and other oral health problems.